The Cisco® MDS 9706 Multilayer Director is a director-class SAN switch designed for deployment in small to medium-sized storage networks to support enterprise clouds and business transformation. It layers a comprehensive set of intelligent features onto a high-performance, protocol-independent switch fabric.
The MDS 9706 addresses the stringent requirements of large virtualized data center storage environments. It delivers uncompromising availability, security, scalability, ease of management, and transparent integration of new technologies for extremely flexible data center SAN solutions. It shares the same operating system and management interface with other Cisco data center switches. The MDS 9706 lets you transparently deploy unified fabrics with Fibre Channel, IBM Fibre Connection (FICON), and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) connectivity with a low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
The MDS 9706 offers a number of important features.
Lower TCO with SAN consolidation
Organizations need efficient, cost-effective SANs to keep up with today’s exponential data growth. The MDS 9706 lets you easily consolidate data assets into fewer, larger, and more manageable SANs to reduce your hardware footprint and associated Capital Expenditures (CapEx) and Operating Expenses (OpEx). It offers industry-leading scalability with:
● Up to 192 64-Gbps Fibre Channel or 10-Gbps FCoE ports or 96 40-Gbps FCoE ports per chassis
● Up to 11.5 Terabits per second (Tbps) front-panel, Fibre Channel, line-rate, nonblocking system-level switching capacity
● Exceptional capabilities with intelligent fabric services
● Virtual SANs (VSANs) for consolidating individual physical SAN islands while maintaining logical boundaries
● Inter-VSAN Routing (IVR) for sharing resources across VSANs
For unified fabric deployments with converged LAN and SAN environments using lossless Ethernet, the MDS 9706 provides multihop FCoE. Protect your organization’s investments in existing storage infrastructure with any-to-any connectivity across multiple protocols.